Why is hula hooping so cool?
Hula hooping, hoopdance, or hooping – whatever you call it, it’s packed with positives. Ask someone why they’re into hula hooping in its current modern form, and they’ll likely report many of these benefits:
- Hoopdance will tone and sculpt your body
- Hooping can burn up to 400 calories in an hour!
- Builds your cardiovascular endurance
- Hooping is a low impact workout meaning less chance for injury to your joints
- Strengthens the core
- Enhances body awareness
- Develops balance and hand-eye coordination
- Increases focus
- Develops creativity
- Quiets the mind and relieves stress
- Excellent meditative tool
- Offers endless opportunities for learning
- Provides an avenue for creative self-expression
- Boosts self-confidence
- Makes you laugh and smile!
- Hooping is a wonderful activity to share with family & friends
- Builds community through connections with other hoopers. We’re a very friendly bunch!
What Kind Of Hoop?
What’s important to know if you haven’t hooped before, or if you tried hooping when you were younger and are reluctant to try it now, is that adult hoops are different than the plastic hoops we used as kids.
Hoop teachers and enthusiasts now know that heavier, larger hoops have more momentum and slower rotation, making it easier to keep the hoop going. Grippy fabric tapes help the hoop “stick”. Hula hoops do come in a huge variety of sizes and materials, but the physics remain the same – larger and heavier hoops are great for beginners looking to master the art of keeping the hoop rotating around the body.
Lighter hoops made of materials such as polypro or hdpe are incredibly popular for off-body hooping. They’re light, zippy and easier on the hands than the heavier PVC hoops, but they’re harder to keep going ON the body.
And that’s just it – there’s no right or wrong hoop, but choosing a hoop that best suits your needs or desired hoop experience will increase your chance of success. There is a vast array of advice out there on the Internet and in your hoop community regarding hoop materials and sizes. It’s important to remember that opinions may vary!
Hooping is for everyone. You don’t need any previous experience – just your enthusiasm!